Adam Grant’s Guidelines to Authenticity
1. Authenticity without boundaries is careless
- lawyers who were ‘themselves’ in an interview only did better if their resumes were already highly ranked
2. Authenticity without empathy is selfish
- being ‘honest’ does not need to equal being blunt
3. Authenticity witout status & trust is risky
- as you prove your value, you accrue more idiosyncrasy credit which, from wikipedia is “an individual’s capacity to acceptably deviate from group expectations”
- reminiscent of “tolerance for the novelties” in scenes, except that tolerance is inherent, not earned
Sources, resources, links
The WorkLife episode on authenticity
References to provisional selves relate to this scholarly work by Herminia Ibarra.
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.